HSJC Scholarships April 11th, 2014
The Hall School of Journalism and Communication has several scholarships to award for academic year 2013-2014.
Summer Early Registration April 8th, 2014
This is a reminder that Summer 2014 registration starts Wednesday, April 9. Please see your academic adviser to remove your advising hold.
SEJC Winners Announced February 22nd, 2014
Congratulations to our HSJC students and all involved in the Best of the South Awards given Friday night, Feb. 21, 2014, at the Southeast Journalism Conference meeting held at the University of Louisiana, Lafayette.
Hall School students won:
- Paul Boger, 1st place for Best Radio News Feature Reporter
- Natalie Boyd, 2nd place for Best Radio Hard News Reporter and 2nd place for Best Radio Journalist
- Carson Brown, 2nd place for Best Newspaper Page Layout Designer
- Kelcie Hathcock, 2nd place for Best Press Photographer
- Christina Cook, 3rd place for Best Television Hard News Reporter
- Danielle Percival, 5th place for Best Television Journalist
- Brandon Murray, 5th place for Best News-Editorial Artist/Illustrator
- Brittany DeLong 7th place for Best Advertising Staff Member
- Zach Winslett, 8th place for Best Arts & Entertainment Writer
- Karli Mauldin, 9th place for Best News Writer
In addition, Troy TrojanVision-TV won:
- 4th place for Best College Video News Program
- 6th place for Best College Television Station
Paid Multimedia Internships February 20th, 2014
Eight Alabama newspapers are offering PAID internships this summer.
Please see Prof. Stewart if you are interested in one of these internships and need more information about them.
Alabama Broadcasters Association Scholarships January 28th, 2014
The Alabama Broadcasters Association Education Foundation will award ten $3,000 scholarships to deserving juniors and seniors across the state planning to pursue a career in the broadcast industry.
The deadline to apply is March 30, 2014.
See Dr. Padgett for more information or to get a copy of the scholarship application.
Alabama Media Group announces a paid summer internship January 24th, 2014
Alabama Media Group, which operates AL.com, The Birmingham News, The Huntsville Times, Press-Register and The Mississippi Press, announced the launch of a paid summer internship program with positions in its content and sales and marketing departments.
Please see Prof. Steve Stewart for more information about this internship.
Google is looking for JRN interns January 22nd, 2014
Are you among the best and the brightest? If so, you may join Google this summer for a paid internship on their main campus in Mountain View, Calif.
Google is looking for some journalism undergraduate and graduate students to work as interns. They want students willing to use technology to tell stories in new and dynamic ways.
This internship pay $8,000 for 10 weeks plus $1,000 for transportation.
If you are interested in applying for this internship, please see Dr. Padgett. Google’s deadline is Jan. 31.
This is an amazing opportunity to work as an intern for one of the premier technology and information companies serving our industries.
Hall School welcomes two new faculty members November 14th, 2013
The Hall School of Journalism and Communication welcomes two new faculty members this Spring. They are:
- Professor Morgan Hooper Drinkard
- Professor Robbyn Brooks Taylor
Prof. Drinkard will be teaching the advanced public relations classes next term and Prof. Taylor will be teaching Opinion Writing, Ad Copy and Public Relations Writing.
Prof. Drinkard earned her undergraduate degree from Troy University and her Master of Arts in Public Relations from the University of Alabama.
Prof. Taylor earned her undergraduate degree from Troy University and her Master of Science in Strategic Communication degree from Troy’s Hall School of Journalism and Communication.
Dr. Spurlock’s brother passes away November 14th, 2013
The Hall School is sad to report that Chuck Spurlock, Dr. Jeff Spurlock’s brother, passed away earlier this week in Montgomery. Chuck Spurlock was the State Director for U. S. Senator Jeff Sessions.
Services for Chuck Spurlock will be at 11 a.m. on Friday at First United Methodist Church in Montgomery.
Changes to the Spring 2014 Course Schedule October 25th, 2013
The Hall School made several late changes to the Spring 2014 course schedule.
The following classes have been added to the spring schedule:
- PRJ 3375 TVAA PR Writing Wallace Room 106 Wednesday 3:30 p.m. – 5:45 p.m.
- PRJ 2230 TOAA Intro to PR Wallace Room 107 T, TH 8:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
Dropped from the schedule:
- ADJ 3322 TFAB Advertising Copywriting 12:00 p.m.-12:50 p.m. MWF
- JRN 3365 TOAA Studio Tech and Producing Changed to 8:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m. T,TH
NOTE: Non-journalism majors minoring in Public Relations are required to take the PR writing class, PRJ 3375. This includes the Communication Studies majors.